Pages

Saturday 1 January 2011

A limerick a day keeps the doctor away

I decided today that a limerick to sum up my day might provide a good shorthand for reflecting on my year as it happens. If I've had an exciting day (which is often!) then it can capture the excitement. If I've had a rubbish day then it might help lighten it up, and I like the contrast between the jaunty genre undercut by serious matter. I've even started writing limericks of Greek tragedy.

AJAX -

Salamis once bore a hero
But the Greeks renamed him a zero
He chose not to live
Not even for love
And fell on his sword saying 'cheerio'

I'm scripting on paper, as is my wont, but will update for anyone interested.

So, 1st January 2010:

In Cambridge I welcomed the dawn,
Then to Essex I drove through the morn.
At Freeport I sought
But nothing I bought
Seeing friends and their baby new-born

Not great literature. Let's hope I improve! I'll look up formal rules sometime.

2 comments: